Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Andy Shoe's Scuttlebutts


I have been working on something for the local baseball program for a while now. I came up with an idea of having an opening day celebration at the Legion Memorial Field in Mobridge. I hope it will be a huge success and lots of people will come out and support youth baseball and softball in this town. Over the past couple of years I have seen the decline in youth baseball become an almost bottomless pit of despair. What has happened to America's past time? Where are all of the die hard baseball players? I know that I am getting up there in age, but I can't believe that video games and television have that much of a strangle hold on our youth. I think there was time when every town in the Midwest had a program that they could be proud of and today it is hard to get more then nine boys or girls per team. I am proud of the way major sports are starting to step up with programs like Play 60 from the NFL or the RBI league from MLB to mention a few. No it is not for the lack of motivation from outside the home that the blame lies, it is a direct effect of letting the television be the babysitter. I know that with times being on the rough side in our economy that the idea of a single provider house hold is an old concept but I would say that instead of having kids at home watching TV or playing video games send them to baseball or softball practice. Get the children of America active! If you are paying attention to what is going on with the next generation then you will know that an entire generation is suffering from the effects of childhood obesity. If nothing is done soon the repercussion's could be catastrophic. I know that sometimes I can get a little melodramatic about things, but I know also that I am a member of a growing group that is concerned about what may be without some intervention.

I digress, Opening Day is what I am here writing about today and I want all reading this to make an effort to show up for the event. It will be held Sunday June Thirteenth at around five forty five in the evening at The New Legion Memorial Field. It is located in the same spot on Twelfth Street, but if it has been a while since you have watched a game there it will be an eye opening experience. Come and see all of the youth ball players introduced from T-Ball to Legion. See all of the people who are involved with the summer youth program and meet the people that donated so much time to help improve the complex. There will be a ceremonial first pitch and of course two great games featuring the Mobridge Teeners taking on the Selby Area Teeners then The Mobridge Legion team taking on The Linton North Dakota Legion team. I hope we will have a crowd there that we can be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment