Thursday, March 31, 2011

Brian is on FIE-YAH!!

I don't know why, but suddenly I have found myself with a couple of opportunities to take the time to write a couple of blog entries within a week's span. I noticed Rod was able to do the same, so maybe that is just a clear indication that the sports broadcast season is pretty much over, and now we have a chance to relax, and maybe reflect a little as well. Actually, I've got some things I'd like to share that are a of a different nature than our recently completed season, so here we go.

First of all, I feel a little compelled to toot my own horn, though hopefully not too much to where you get the wrong impression of me. I was lucky enough this evening to bowl a perfect 300 game during the Capital City League at the Lariat Lanes. In fact, this year 2011 is turning out to be quite a good one for me so far, as this is my third 300 in the calendar year, with one coming in each month to date -- I just did squeak this one within the boundaries of March. During our "quiet time" on this blog, I did have one other very special night in late February, as I put together games of 300-290-269, for a 3-game series total of 859, which happens to be the highest 3-game series ever bowled at the Lariat in Pierre. I had a great night that night, but you can't do something like that without a lot of luck, that's for sure.

Tonight's game was my 10th career perfect game, and now, I believe, the 19th overall that has been achieved during this bowling season at the Lariat Lanes. Other perfectos have been achieved by Drew Nafus, Scott Stabnow, Brad Huck, and Drew Badger - all of whom have had two so far this season. We have also seen Tom Mullivan, Chad Kringel, Chris Henrichsen, and Albert Jewett all throw perfect gems this season as well in the adult leagues. In addition, we have also had two 300's turned in by Jared Erickson and one by Ryan Dufour in our youth leagues this season. (Dufour deserves a little guff, though, because his was in a make-up game and technically will not be sanctioned by the US Bowling Congress. :oP) I should also mention on the ladies' side, we had Theresa Burke come oh-so-close with a 299 earlier this season as well.

Speaking of our youth bowlers, the aforementioned Erickson and Dufour led a contingent of Pierre's finest youngsters at the State Pepsi Scholarship Tournament held last weekend in Mitchell. Erickson won the boys scratch division and has earned a berth in the National Tournament this summer in Vegas Baby!, while Dufour placed fourth - the second straight year he has finished in the top five in this event. Several other Pierre youth bowlers also competed in the tournament in both scratch and handicap divisions for both boys and girls, and while I can't name them all, the Pierre bowling community is very proud of all of them. By the way, this weekend most of our area youth bowlers will make their trip to Sioux Falls to compete in the State Youth Bowling Tournament, and we wish them all the best. This will be the first of four weekends of the tournament, so while we hope everyone does their best, we'll have to wait a while to see exactly how they fare, once the tournament ends about a month from now. Good luck everyone - let's go show 'em all how it's done!!

By the way, if you or your kids need something new to try, something that is a great stress reliever, a good way to keep the muscles working, or just to have an all-around good time, head to your nearest bowling center and make a day of it. The more you try it, the more you'll see that bowling truly is a sport for life. In fact, I'm in my 32nd year, and I know I've got at least that many to go before I'll hang it up. Talk to someone about joining a league - there are opportunities for everyone, no matter where you live. Bowling -- it's not just for the Wii anymore! :o) That's my public service announcement for the day - have a great Spring weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Nightly dessert special at Lariat Lanes - CAKE!!

    ReplyDelete