Thursday, September 23, 2010

Darren Boyle's weekly words of wisdom....My return complete with a "Smokey and the Bandit" reference.

Its been awhile..... Sorry, but I have had much to do and the farming season is quickly coming to an end so I have spent some long days in the tractor. And besides, I am a grampa now and that job totally ROCKS! So now its time to get you up to speed on some of my thoughts.

One of my favorite movies ever is "Smokey and the Bandit" Yes, Burt Renolds was cool back then, Jerry Reed wrote a cool theme song, and Jackie Gleason was a perfect Buford T. Justice. Could you imagine if anyone else played that part? The chase scenes were classic too. But the reason I still watch that movie whenever it is on tv is Sally Field, she made the movie for me cause I thought she was hot..... And as I have seen her other work over the years I have thought she was still a very attrractive woman. But just the other day, I saw her in one of her tv commercials and for the first time she looked old. I looked up her stats and I found out she was 64. 64 really? Not that she isnt still a stunner but 64?????. Then I thought of Brett Farve and his performance over the first two games this season and I came to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, Brett is getting old. And as you see his body language on the sideline maybe he knows it too.

So the season rides on Sunday's game with the Lions. I dont care that it is only week three. Look at the schedule, a bye week in week 4 then they have the Patriots, Jets, Packers (twice) and the Cowboys coming up and if they dont get in the win column this week they may not for awhile. They should have beat the Dolphins and maybe this game wouldnt be as big, but they didnt, so it is. I have a bad feeling bout this game.

If the Vikings go 0-3 does Brad Childress make a qb change? Waht other changes should he make? Will he keep his job through the season if things dont improve soon? Will Michael Vick sign with the Vikings next year, and will he bring Tony Dungy along to coach? And 0-3 start and you will see rumors like these start to fly. I am just trying to get a jump on everyone. I have a bad feeling about Sundays game you know.

Two good football games this weekend. On Friday night Chamberlain and Platte-Geddes-Dakota Christian will renew their longstanding rivalry. Right now both teams would be in the playoffs but a loss for either team would hurt their playoff chances, it will be a 7:00 kickoff on KPLO. Saturday night, Stanley County and Mobridge will hook up in Ft. Pierre as they jockey for position in region 4 of class 11B. it should be a good game and we will kickoff @ 7:00.

1 comment:

  1. I was 7 or so when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I remember listening to a 45 (that's rpm) record of "East Bound and Down" over and over again even though I didn't know what that meant. All my friends seemed to have the Hot Wheels version of the black Trans Am Firebird. Eventually Brian and I were able to secure a black one and a blue one. And yes, even at 7, Sally Field was a SSSSSSSSSMOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIN' Hottie!!

    Sad to say, but this Vikings fan just doesn't see much success for about the first half of the season. Their schedule is brutal. Not saying they won't pick up a few wins though. Unfortunately 4vre has to rely on 4 castoff receivers - the newest of which, Hank Baskett or Hand Basket or whatever (who's married to Hugh Hefner's sloppy seconds) hasn't been able to stick with any team for an entire season in quite a while. He signed a couple days ago when they failed to get Vincent Jackson from the Chargers. Timing is not coming around with anybody thus accuracy is just not there. How long do I have to sit and watch Bernard Berrian do nothing on this team?! Success is dependant on Adrian Peterson and on the defense. The O-line has done ok at run blocking, but not so hot in pass blocking. Farve is holding the ball too long because his receivers don't know how to get open.

    I still contend that next year we'll be put through a whole new soap opera - this time starring #5 of the Washington Redskins.

    Brett O.

    ReplyDelete