Thursday, November 19, 2009

Andy Shoe's Scuttlebutts


I know baseball season is long gone, or a long way off but I thought I would write a little on the Twins this week. I know that Major League Baseball is a business and that owners are constantly trying to improve their clubs, but some trades do not make sense to me. I think the Twins front office made a mistake in sending Gomez to Milwaukee, even though they got Hardy. Some times a player's worth can't just be his stat sheet. Sometimes a player has other attributes that make him a value to his team. In the case of Gomez, consistency was not a strong trait, but excitement was always there and down the stretch this is a team that has used the excitement of individuals to carry them into the post season as a team. The Twins were outfield strong with four pretty good outfielders and only three game-day spots to put them in but it always seems that one of the four were on the DL at one time or another. Last year the Twins went out and picked up Joe Crede and gambled on his back. It was not a gamble that paid off down the stretch run. I was critical then as I am now about Hardy. I think Hardy will be a good player in the future for the Twins, but for a team on the door step of doing something extraordinary, I think mixing up the team will be hard to come back from. The front office of the Twins should concentrate on the signing of their big names and not the trading of their potential. I will still be a fan and will sit back with an open mind about Hardy. I just think it is time to keep the team together and continue to improve.

4 comments:

  1. Does this mean they don't plan to re-sign Cabrera at short? Or do they plan to do away with Crede at 3rd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching Posada flop this post-season, I'd just worry about Mauer's future as a Twin. I'm afraid if Posada wants to continue his career in pin-stripes he should learn how to carry Joe Mauer's bag. Oh, I know, HE'S A HOMETOWN BOY...HE'LL NEVER LEAVE!! Put yourself in his situation....he's gone unless the Twins pony-up for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is remeber Kirby Pucket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember Big Papi, Chuck Knoublach, Johan Santana, Torii Hunter, Rod Carew, Frank Viola, Shannon Stewart, and many, many others.

    ReplyDelete