Monday, March 12, 2012

Rod's Monday Sports Question

I watched some of the State High School Girls Basketball tournaments over the weekend and again I get the feeling that the quality of basketball is slipping in South Dakota. Maybe it is just me but after covering girls basketball in the state since 1979-80, i think the quality was better back then. I think the 1982 Lady Governor State Championship team could beat most of the teams of today. I don't know whether it is the style of which most of the girls try to do with the get up and down the court, or the 3 point line or what, but turnovers and sloppy ball handling seem to rule. And I don't beleive that defense is the reason. I talk to coaches on a weekly basis and they say thier teams committed 20, 25 even 30 turnovers a game, almost on a nightly basis. Again, not all of the teams are like that but there are more that are, than aren't. At least in my opinion. What is yours? I would live to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. I believe alot of the teams are trying to play a faster paced style of basketball than they are capable of. Also there are too many fundamental mistakes made, how many times have you seen a crosscourt pass picked off this year? When we played that was a major no no but now it appears to be a part of alot of teams offensive sets.
    Darren

    ReplyDelete