Friday, December 4, 2009

Brian's Friday Fire-up

So let me get this straight....a girl can be voted to the All State Volleyball Team as a junior on a team that played for a State Championship, but as a senior on a team that missed the State Tournament, she can't even get a spot on even the SECOND team All State? Would somebody please tell me who in Class AA works harder, hustles more, and for what it's worth, has more fun, on a volleyball court than Amanda Stout? Okay, maybe the stats weren't there for her this year like they were last year, and I don't have them in front of me right now, but how many unforced mistakes did she make this year? I can't imagine there were that many. No disrespect to the girls who all made the teams, but it's just odd that a student-athlete, male or female, regardless of sport, can be an All State player as a junior, play healthy for an entire senior year, and not get the same attention at the end of their senior year, whether their team achieved success or not. Does that mean that the player shouldn't get the votes they probably deserve?

Now, as I look at the list of players on the First and Second AA All-State teams, I'll admit, I can't really argue with any of the selections - they are all deserving of the honor. I guess it just helps a lot to be on a State Tournament team. Oh wait, I guess I don't recall Sioux Falls O'Gorman making the team, or even Brookings for that matter. Okay, okay, I know I'm whining a bit, so I'll quit now. I guess the point is that Amanda Stout got looked over, probably for 3 reasons: 1) her team wasn't as successful as others; 2) the hitters get all the attention; and 3) she's only 5'3" - everyone looks over the short ones. :o)

With that said, though, let's offer congratulations to all of our area volleyballers who made All State lists:
Caitlin Whiting - White River - Class B First Team
Marisa Mann - Philip - Class B 1st
Holly Hamlin - Highmore-Harrold - Class B 2nd
Marisa Blackwell - Miller - Class A 2nd team
Sarah Dady - Mobridge - Class A 2nd
Erin Rabenberg - Mobridge - Class A HM
Kelly Swenson - Chamberlain - Class A HM (whattayaknow - a setter getting props!)

For me personally, having seen all of these players play quite a bit this season, with the exception of Mann, who I saw play so well for a State Champion last year, I can say that the voters do actually know what they're talking about -- great job, all of you!! I just think they missed a gem in Amanda Stout. One final note, congrats also to Katie Gordon of Brookings, daughter of Pierre natives, Allen and Karen Gordon, who was named to the AA Second Team. She's good, too. :o)

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you exactly how a 5'3" All Conference Honable Mention and played for the State AA Champoinship on a team that went UNDEAFETED as a Sophmore, All Conference, All Tournament, ALl State 2nd Team, who again played for the STATE AA CHAMPIONSHIP game as a Junior, and All COnference as a Senior who will be playin Division 1 volleyball with SDSU next year not get All State this year. IT IS SIMPLE, PIERRE's headcoach DID NOT ATTEND THE STATE TOURNAMENT TO NOMINATE OR PROMOTE HER OR ANY ONE ELSE ON THE PIERRE TEAM. IN FACT PIERRE DID NOT GET TO VOTE FOR ANY OF THE GIRLS THAT DID MAKE THE TEAM...That shows the dedication the headcoach had toward this season, hmmm wonder why they lost twice as many games as they won and she still calls it a GOOD season......

    ReplyDelete