Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Rod's Wednesday take

First off, Merry Christmas. Now, I have been asked several times since Saturday if Travis Adney's 32 points Saturday against Sioux Falls Lincoln is a Pierre Governor single game scoring record. I have done some checking and apparently there is no list of single game individual scoring records. I can tell you this. I first came to Pierre in 1979 so from that first team I covered from the 79-80 season to last Saturday, I can only go from memory. Troy Schaffer scored 30 points in 1983 against Todd County in the Region Championship game in Mission. That is the only 30 point single game individual performance I can come up with. There have been several players that have been in the upper 20's. Michael Gardner two years ago. Curry Kuehl last year. DJ Prue in 2001. Shane Prunty went off for some big scoring games in the mid 90's but not 30 or more from what I have been able to find out. If someone out there knows please post a comment. Like I say, from 78-79 and before, I am not sure. Joe Ashley might of, but I doubt it. I know the only time Michael Tveidt went for 30 was when he was in 7th grade and was playing traveling team for my wife and I. He went off for 30 against a Mitchell team. Jon Christensen had at least 30 for that Mitchell squad too. But that doesn't count except we won. Sam Willard went off for some mid to upper 20 games a time or two also. Steph Paluch scored 30 or more 5 times last year. 34 in a game twice. So I guess she would be the school leader boys and/or girls. Karen Hasek had a 30 point game in 1982. The amazing thing about Adney's 32 the other night was that he went 9 for 11 from the field. His two misses were his first two shots of the game. So he finishes 9 of 9 and 2 for 2 from 3 point range. The rest from the free throw line. And it came kinda of quietly until he hit his two three's back to back in the 4th quarter. I decided to count up how many he scored after he made the back end of a two free throw situation. I knew he had alot but when I counted it was 27!!!!! And lost in the Travis Adney shuffle was freshman Zach Hanson who had a double double! 10 points and 11 rebounds. The first double double of many over the course of the next four years we hope. So like I say, if anyone can pinpoint a player who had a 30 plus point game other than the one's I mentioned please post it. Again Merry Christmas gang. And remember the reason for the season and a little saying that I heard the other day that kinda of sums the season up. Santa's cool! But Jesus Rocks!!! It was a youngster that I heard that from by the way. But good to remember. Hope all your Christmas wishes and dreams come true!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I believe the Pierre boys scoring record is 37.
    30-point scorers over the past 35 years include Nic Hogan 33 at Yankton, Feb. 23, 2002, and 30 vs. Huron, March 1, 2002; D.J. Prue, 33 vs. Spearfish, 2001 state tournament and 31 vs. Brookings, Jan. 5, 2001; Shane Prunty 31 vs. Brandon Valley, 1997 state tournament third place game, 33 vs. Yankton, Feb. 8, 1996 and 31, vs. R.C. Central, Jan. 5, 1996; David Gordon, 30 at Brandon Valley, Dec. 11, 1994 and 30 vs. R.C. Stevens, Jan. 22, 1994; Todd Tedrow, 36 vs. Brookings, Dec. 11, 1992 and 32, at Watertown, Jan. 29, 1993; Ryan Johnson, 31 at Mitchell, Feb. 22, 1992; Troy Schaefer, 33, vs. Brookings, Feb. 11, 1983 and 30 at Todd County, March 8, 1983; Joe Ashley 34 at Mitchell, Dec. 5, 1979; 32, vs. R.C. Central, 1979 state championship game and 31, vs. Sturgis, March 18, 1978; Bob Ashley 31, at Brookings, Dec. 7, 1973.

    ReplyDelete