Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rod's Thursday Thoughts

Call me old school but Chad Ochosinko and Jarred Allen and the NFL cronies who like to shoot off their mouth and do excessive celebrating after they make a tackle could not have played in the glory days of the NFL. Both of them would have had their clocks cleaned by teammates for not acting professional. Ochosinko, and Terrell Owens and Allen and a whole bunch of them should get suspended without pay for more than a game instead of getting fined. Money means nothing to these blowhards. Ochosinko is going to wrestle away the horn from the Viking mascot and blow it Sunday if he scores. If that happens, I hope the Viking mascot takes the horn and whacks him upside the side of the helmet. It wouldn't hurt. My yongest son is a diehard Bengals fan. That's why, he and me and his brother and mother will all be in attendance on Sunday at the game. I will gladly root against the Vikings since Cincy on Sunday will be my second favorite team. They are the ones playing the Vikings. If Ochosinko catches 3 TD passes, great!!! But don't expect for me to stand up and cheer Ochosinko, who can't even decide what he wants his last name to be, if he pulls off the horn blowing thing. My kid knows I'm old fashioned and old school and thinks I am nuts. He also knows, I know he knows that and I don't care what he thinks of me in matters like this. This is why college football has it over on the NFL. They don't let shananigans like Ochocinko pull on a game by game basis become more than the game. And can Ndomekong Suh win the Heisman? He should but if early ballots that have been made public for whatever reason are an indication, looks like he will finish second. Still ahead of the quarterbacks. If he does win, no one would be more deserving. Note to Chad O" Suh doesn't tute his own horn. And yes, I know I spelled Chad Johnson's last name wrong!

Now, back to true sports. Governor and Lady Governor basketball teams are getting ready. Both are in tough districts this year. Huron is the pick to win the ESD in boys basketball this year. Aberdeen Central and Mitchell are pretty much numbers 2 and 3, mostly because of senior presence. Pierre has 3 seniors and probably 2 that will see significant playing time. But the Go Go Govs should be fun to watch, especially if they can hit the pull up 3 pointers. And Josh Monroy is 7 feet 1 3/4 inches tall by the way. That's in his stocking feet. The Lady Govs are not the favorite in the ESD or the district this year. Aberdeen Central has that distinction and Huron and Mitchell are going to be improved. But watching the intra squad scrimmage on Saturday if that is any indication, don't count the Lady's out. A good early test comes on Saturday at Brandon Valley. I will be calling that game because of my next day experiences in the Metrodome as described above. Then they go to Watertown next Friday and have S.F. Lincoln a week from Saturday. By Christmas, we'll have a pretty good idea of just how good or down the Lady Govs will be. I am thinking "good" at this stage instead of "down".

The Tyler Wilcox Memorial Squirt Hockey tournament is this weekend in Ft. Pierre. And I have been advised that the Capitals and Lady Capitals hockey teams (via request from the Oahe Hockey Association Board) would like to be referred to as Pierre-Ft. Pierre or Oahe Capitals since there are kids from both Pierre and Ft. Pierre that play on the team. So Pierre-Ft. Pierre it will be as long as I remember to do that.

1 comment:

  1. I assume the CHAD does his antics for entertainment or amusement, but I am curious to know how many are entertained or amused. The touchdown celebrations that included props (e.g. TO and the Sharpie, Joe Horn and the cell phone) seems to be a dead fad that one guy still thinks it cool. Like the one guy who wore stone-washed Levi's (with the cuffs tighgly rolledup) well into the '90s. If the CHAD does blow the Viking horn after a score, I hope he gets the same treatment that TO got in Dallas as a member of the 49ers. Remember? He scored once then ran to the big star in the middle of the field and posed. He scored again and George Teague chased him and absolutely clocked him - though not hard enough. TO played the rest of the year.

    Obviously the Heisman is the most overhyped and overpublicized award out there. But that would all change for at least one year if D.Suh wins it this year. The award is given to "The Best Player," but really it's given to the "Best Player-Season." It seems like Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy blew their chance at the award last week (McCoy personally should hand it to Suh after that game). But does their last game really tell how they played all season? Mark Ingram missed time (or at least stats) because of injury. Apparently some guy out at Stanford had a pretty solid season but we didn't hear about him until he put 200 yards up against USC! I would say the two most deserving of the Heisman are a defensive lineman and a kid from a non-elite football program. McCoy won't win because he'll always be known for being in Tebow's shadow. I still think it's Tebow's, but I'd love to see Suh get it.

    ReplyDelete