Sunday, January 10, 2010

Andy Shoe's Scuttlebutts


College Football and I have a dysfunctional relationship. Usually I am very disappointed with the end result. I am one of the growing few that think division one A college football need to play a play-off to determine The National Champion. I just can't get over the BCS computers and the formula they have to choose who plays in a National Championship game. If you are a fan of Hollywood Sports Films, like "Rocky," then you want to see a small school like Boise State play for The National Title after an undefeated season. I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy, but I do think if they end up in the top eight they should have a chance at playing in the play-off for The National Championship. Sure, this too will be flawed but it would also be on the right track to a true title run. If a team that plays in The Western Athletic Conference runs the table and plays some tough non-conference games against teams from power conferences like the PAC 10, then they should get a chance at a high seat in the play-off. On the other hand if a team has a couple of losses in a power conference like the Big 10 and played no one tough out side of their conference, this team should play in a small bowl game for entertainment points only. I grew up in a small state, as many who read this did as well, and when the one and only four year institution in my state played a big game it was, for us, as big as the Super Bowl. So as you can imagine it would be nice to think that one day my team in my little conference could have a chance at playing for a National Title some day even though they don't play in The South East Conference. Until the day comes that I can cheer for that then I will continue to be a fan even if I am a little frustrated. Oh well it's on to college hoops and I do love my March Madness. Happy New Year to all. May the New Year bring you prosperity and love.

1 comment:

  1. Of course you love March Madness, Andy. It's a TOURNAMENT, just like D-1A College Football should have!!

    ReplyDelete