Monday, January 4, 2010

Darren Boyle's weekly words of wisdom

OK,OK the Vikings got the #2 seed in the playoffs and a first round bye. Yes they looked unstoppable against the New York Ghosts of the Giants. Didnt the Giants look like they would rather have been anywhere else rather than playing in Minneapolis yesterday. One of the terms I use to describe a defense that has given up is "they went matador. Well the Giants sure did. So did several teams yesterday. Let's see, maybe the Eagles, Cardinals, Colts, Saints, Bengals,and the Bronco coaching staff. Josh McDaniels decision to keep his best offensive player inactive for a must win game was another stroke of ego for the coach of the Broncos. Things would have been much better in the mile high city if the coach wouldnt have pissed off his qb the first week he had the job. Oh well, some folks dont have people skills. I promise you Mr. Fisher, next season you will like your QB. Keep an eye on things in Denver during the offseason. Anyway, I am glad that I didnt invest the time to sit at home and watch football Sunday. The total lack of effort of some teams would have ticked me off. I have gotten alot of flak from some of you about either my reluctance to jump on the Viking bandwagon, or that I have sold out and now am drinking the purple kool-aid. Well, neither is true. I am a Vikings fan, so I know what disapointment is. I watched the hail mary game with Dallas, saw the last three super bowl beat downs. Nobody is playing "Bud Grant 2010" on their video games if you havent noticed. And the disapointments have continued. Gary Anderson's only missed field goal of the year during the NFC championship game, the game last year with the Eagles. Do I need to go on? What is your "favorite" Viking playoff disapointment? That should get some responses. What I cant get out of mind is the thought that the Vikes will host the Packers on the 17th and how hard it is to beat a team three time in a year. How fitting would it be for Farve to have to face his old team to protect his legacy? After the play calling fiasco, do you really think Childress a.k.a. the real Viking Season Killer will want Brett around again next season? Especially if they dont make it to this years Super Bowl. On the local front, I broadcast games from the east-west shootout in Chamberlain over the weekend and saw some very good basketball. The best game of the five was the matchup between Belle Fourche and Beresford. Those are two very talented and well coached teams, and neither will probally make the state tournament because of the regions they are in. The local teams involved didnt fair so well, but should have gotten a glimpse of how much better they need to be. At this time of year, with alot of basketball to play that isnt a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. By the way,I forgot to mention Sully Buttes big win over the weekend at the Parkston Classic. Looks like the defending state B champs have got some game. And we will see them Friday night when they play Highmore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Gary Anderson's miss was the worst. I remember it well. As he was lining up, the announcer on the TV said "Anderson is perfect on field goals for the season, he has not missed one this year." I instantly got a feeling that this was the one he was going to miss, and
    I was right. Threw away all my Vikings coats and sweatshirts after that game. It then got cold, so I had to get everything back!!! Was embarassing. And didn't they go to Arizona a few years back and get beat bad by a really bad Cardinal team and get knocked out of the playoffs? I won't celebrate until I hear Brett say, after they ask the question, "What are you going to do now that you have won the Super Bowl for the Vikings?" and he replies, "I'm going to Disneyland!" Any celebration before that will be to early!!

    ReplyDelete