Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Darren Boyle's weekly words of wisdom

Its a big week of sports in our area. Not because the Vikings are playing, but because it is the week of the annual Jones County Invitational Basketball tournament. It has been going on for over 40 years and continues to be the area's social event each January. Things start out Thursday afternoon at 1:00 as the White River Tigers, the four time defending champion of the JCI opens play vs. Kadoka. Philip vs. Bennett County completes the afternoon session. The night session tips off at 6:30 with Lyman taking on Stanley County and Jones County playing Colome. On paper it would appear that White River will have no problem winning the tournament for the fifth straight year, but if you have followed the tournament for any time at all you know that some crazy things happen on Thursday. KPLO will again broadcast all 12 games of the JCI, and all games will be webcast at dakotaradiogroup.com. It is very fun for me because it allows me to return to my old stomping grounds, and harken back to my high school days where I didnt play much but sure looked good during warmups. I really dont have much to say about the Vikings and their matchup on Sunday against the Cowboys. Yes the Cowboys looked good against the Eagles. But didnt it appear to you that the Eagles are a team with alot of players that are too young and a QB that is too old? Wont old #5 look good in purple next year? The vote of confidence McNabb got from Eagles coach Andy Reid only made me think of alot of coaches who get a vote of confidence from the team owner a couple of days before they are fired. The one thing I know for sure, is expectations for the Vikings havent been this high since the last time they let us down so you know whats gonna happen next. Sorry Jon Drayer, mission Miami will have to wait. Did you guys know that Mark McGuire took steriods? Really? I just heard. Wow, I am as shocked as you are.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Darren - when Charlie Moore and I were covering games on KPLO, we always enjoyed going to Jones County and especially covering the JCI. But be careful - strange things can also happen in that hayloft/weight room/media booth where we used to sit and commentate. (It was always nice to get a quick workout in.) Case in point - I once inadvertantly mispronounced the name Schmidt, and needless to say I spent the rest of the commentary trying my hardest not to break out in laughter. And Charlie spent the rest of the night trying to get me to laugh. Luckily the FCC wasn't listening...right, Mark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably had a few Schmidt's in your system that night, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did - one from a bull and one from a horse.

    ReplyDelete