Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Brian's Tuesday Tweet

Hi everybody, it's me, Brian - or Radio, to those that only know me by that name. I've been a little busy, so it's been hard to keep up, but watching the Purdue Women's upset of Ohio St. made me feel like I had something worth saying again. First of all, what an exciting win for that group. The upper class starters came out and stunk up the joint, and when the freshmen came in, the light switch finally came on. Purdue was down 16-0 right away, but were back within 3 at halftime, 32-29, up by 5 late, but won the game, 63-61. I'm sure OSU thinks there's no way they should have lost that game, which dropped them to 20-2. They're not UCONN, but they're still decent - 4th ranked, actually. And how about the efforts of that freshman phenom, what's her name? Oh yeah, KK Houser. 18 points and just a real spark plug - she's gonna be a good one.

Then Purdue has this Ostarello girl. She's got some skillz, too. Fourteen points, 7 rebounds, including the offense board and put-back that really sealed the deal with a little over a minute left. A couple of steals, only one assist, but should have been more, if not for some missed layups by teammates. I dare say our little girl is growing up before our very eyes - on National TV - and not in a Gary Coleman sort of way (thank God!). I tell you what, it's fun to watch, but even more fun to listen to what the commentators have to say about Sam's efforts and abilities, and then to also read about them in the write-ups, especially for a game of that magnitude.

Now, for those that don't have the Big 10 Network, Purdue will be on ESPN2 once more, this coming weekend, at Iowa - 2:00 Sunday afternoon, so if you haven't had a chance to watch yet, keep that date & time in mind. In the meantime, check these out:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100126/capt.d1ca9cbc39a143c2964ec84d429ba7e1.ohio_st_purdue_basketball_wlf110.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100126/capt.576a047b2b094c1eaf8a40e1160975ca.ohio_st_purdue_basketball_wlf102.jpg

As for the Vikings, well, maybe Boyle was right. Favre actually did kill the season with one bad decision. Other than that....the words "shoulda, coulda, woulda" keep running through my mind. To me, the biggest play of the game, though, is still the fumbled handoff exchange before the end of the first half. If the Vikings go into the half, with a lead, whether 3 or 7 points that were basically handed to them, that would have changed the complexion of the whole second half. Who knows, if the Vikings don't lose that fumble, then maybe the fumblitis flood gates would have never opened in the second half.

But let us brace ourselves for another off-season filled with talk of retire/rehire. John & Kate may be history, but this soap opera is about to enter its fifth season. If I were to predict the thoughts of #4, I'd be thinking, "Wow, that game really hurt, and I just don't think I can take any more of this punishment (not to mention a bunch of cheap shots). I sure hate to put my beloved Deanna through that kind of anguish again. But on the other hand, there is no reason on earth that we shouldn't have won that game, and with pretty much the exact same team all together next year, too, why should there be any reason to think that we can give it one more try, especially since I'm still under contract?" Funny how 10 years ago, I couldn't wait for Favre to retire, but now, I would really love to see him go out a champion. It's just too bad (for Vikings fans) that the Steelers are going to rise to the top and take it all again next year - YEAH, BABY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you got back on the horse OAK!!! I'm glad my harassing you worked. How did I know there would be some Steeler jab in there???

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a thought, with no collective bargaining agreement and no salary cap in the NFL next year could you imagine what kind of team the Vikes could assemble if old #4 decided to come back? Every free agent would sign on for one year to be part of the Farve Farewell tour. The Vikes could look like the Yankees

    ReplyDelete