Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Andy Shoe's Scuttlebutts


I recently visited with my brother, who lives in Nevada, and he was upset by the conclusion of his son's basketball game. Seeking an explanation, I asked what happened. The answer has me perplexed. Apparently the game was one of importance because the winner would have received a higher seed in the zone tournament, which is similar to district tournaments here in South Dakota. The game started off with my nephew's team down early by a good measure, and then in the second half made a come back effort that was by no means a small one. They climbed back in to the saddle and by the end of the game they were just a few points behind. They hit a basket and, along with the score keeper, thought they had taken the lead.
However, the other teams score keeper had them down by one point at the end of regulation. My nephew's score keeper had his team winning the game by two. This is were it gets confusing, as the official score keeper had a completely different score then the other two score books. So, to summarise there were three different books and three different scores at the end of the game. I thought to myself that it would be an easy fix and that all they had to do was get a copy of the game film and get an accurate score count. By the rules,the official book is the last word. There apparently is no way to protest the score book. I would like to know why, when we all know that no one is perfect, that there are no checks and balances for a situation like this. I don't think the kids playing are concerned with the winning or losing as much as they want to know what happened and why there was so much disparity and discrepancy. When these kids graduate from high school and move on to the real world they should be prepared for an imperfect world and a sometimes cruel one in which not everything is fair. On the other hand in this cruel, unfair world there are checks and balances to a certain extent. I only hope that they will realize that in this instance there are things that will never be fair to all. I do think though, if the parties involved could sit down and discuss this in a manner befitting professionalism and justness they would send a powerful message to the kids that even if life is unfair, they did everything possible to make this right. I do realize that what I am asking for in my way of solving a problem is just like an argument that is raging throughout major sports about instant replay. I would think though that again everything should be done to ensure that the kids won't be jaded as a result of one game and one case of human error.

5 comments:

  1. they live in Nevada and they cant count? That may explain my bad lick at the blackjack table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification DB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what the simplest fix for that would be...at least if it were broadcast on a DRG station -- hey, let's just listen to the webcast on demand, follow along, count every score that is mentioned on the air, and come up with a true final score. Sure, you can't see a replay of the game, but when was the last time a DRG radio announcer missed anything at a game?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think you want to go there Brian.

    ReplyDelete