Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rod's Thursday Take N Things

After Tuesday night's Aberdeen Central peformance against the Governors, one can only say WOW! If they play like that in the post season, I am not sure who can beat them. The Golden Eagles problem is Huron. It's in their head. They can't beat them. But as good as Aberdeen shot Tuesday, it was not as good as Mitchell against Watertown in the second half on Tuesday. 76 percent! Missed only 5 shots the entire half and the Kernals beat the team I previously thought had a complete package, as long as they made their shots.

Word is Ryan Yackley is out for the season at Mitchell with torn ACL. I've been told it is the exact same knee injury his older sister Alexis had. Of course that also means any chances he were to come back to Pierre to play American Legion baseball this summer is now done also. That is a 6 month minimum rehab.

Lady Gov basketball play Aberdeen Central tonight and the game is on River 92.7. I'm doing the game and unlike with the Governor boys I have less tie in's with the Lady Govs players. But a few. For instance, coach Kannegeiter and my wife both have/had the same mentor, Nancy Nieber. Coach K's college basketball coach and my wifes fastpitch softball teammate back in the late 60's and early 70's. Ive known the assistant coaches for a long long time. Skip Kurth for 30 years. Kelly Brant and Kim Bierle probably for 20. Bierle and my wife coached junior high basketball together. I have some good stories on that coaching tandem I probably won't tell you about here. As far as players, other than the fact that I know a few of the parents of the girls, that is about it. A couple of exceptions. For instance, Sophomore Katie Ludemann's mom Ellen. She was a fast pitch softball player during her high school days in O'Neill, Nebr. The 3 years I was there working at the radio station there, we used to broadcast some of their games. So Ellen's play on the field was described by me, just like her daughters on the basketball court. And Amber Olson's mom Karen was on a slow pitch softball team that I coached back quite a few years ago. Played first base and she probably has stories on me, we don't want to get into here either. I blush easily!

Anyway, look for a spirited effort tonight by the Lady Govs. An upset is not out of the question. And look for the Governors on Saturday to give Brandon Valley a run for their money. There will be at least 1 win for the Young Govs before the regular season ends. So keep listening. The Lady Govs will get at least 1 win out of these last 3 regular season games also. It's just a gut feeling you know. At least I hope it is a feeling and not something I ate!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment