Monday, February 15, 2010

Rod's Monday Take N Things

The weekend brought us crappy weather, the longest Daytona 500 ever and another absolutley uninteresting NBA All Star game. I vote the Tim McGraw concert prior to Daytona better than the Usher mini concert that was disquised as "the starting lineups" at the NBA All Star game. Usher is a very talented individual and very good at what he does. I just prefer Tim McGraw being a little better at what he does. And what gives with the little dancing as the East All Stars were introduced? Dwight Howard, Superman? I agree with Shaq. Superman my ______. The West guys when they were introduced were at least "professional" about it. Daytona was a very good race, if you stuck with it. The last two laps, when they finally happened were as good as it gets. And I am sure the term Jamie McMurry used when he saw Earnhardt on his tail from 10th to 2nd was not as he described "Oh No". Oh might have been one of the words. But it is a good story line. McMurry, almost didn't have sponsors for this year and wasn't sure if he was even going to race. No worry now. And the weather. You could have guessed it was gong to be like that. Afterall, the Governors boys were going to Watertown. It always is crappy weather when the Govs play at Watertown. You always wonder if you going to make it home. And Pierre usually plays like that up there. Lets play, get done and get home. It also has something to do with the fact that Watertown usually is a good team. They don't seem to have these transitional years like Pierre is going through. No freshman and very few sophomores ever play on the Watertown varsity. Speaking of our transistional year for Governor basketball. This year is like no year I have had in announcing Pierre boys hoops. The close losses. The blow outs. The not so blowouts but the not so impressive performances. On would think that eventually the odds will catch up with us and the Govs will put a game or two together this year that they play out of their head and win despite being the youngsters of the league. I still believe it will happen. I also have looked back at what I have in common with this team. And I came up with it. It's the parents. Here's what I mean starting the seniors and looking right down the lineup starting the seniors.

Taylor Becker....I have known is grandfather for a long time. And his mother was one of the players my wife coached in what was then, junior high basketball

Graham Schuetzle...I have known his mom and dad for a real long time. My wife played softball with his aunt Bonnie Sivage in college. And I at one time worked with his uncle Scott at another radio station here in town.

The Juniors

Scott Cichos....His Dad was on the very first Governor basketball team I covered in 1979-80, a year after their state championship which I wasn't in Pierre yet.

Travis Adney... I have to admit, I don't have any ties in the past with his family but he is a very nice young guy and good athelte. And his grandmother listens to every game on the radio.

Tanner Johnson... I covered both his mom and dad in their athletic endevours in high school in Pierre. Dad was a pretty good football player for sure and played hoops for Bob Judson.

Jordan Jenkins... since this is his first year in Pierre, there is no background between the two of us either than he always say "Hi' when he sees me.

The Sophomores

Connor Berg.... His dad is our mailman

Joe Tetzlaff... His older brother played with my son Mike in junior high and a couple of years in high school.

And the Freshman.

Lane Severyn... His dad is a Riggs High alum and played for the Governors which is why every once in awhile Shane is in the game rather than Lane. Would have been easier if mom and dad would have named him Sam or Bill or something but that's my problem to deal with. I also covered his aunt who played for Pierre and then down at Lyman for a year or two.

And Zach Hanson.. No close ties to the past or present with the young Mr. Hanson, but I found one. Zach's dad is the boss of the mom of my oldest son's best freind and apartment mate in Fargo!

It truly is a small world, isn't it! And congratulations to Tanner Monfore who won the 103 lb. ESD championship Saturday at the ESD tournament and is the only first team All ESD wrestler this year for the Govs. Terrance Maier and Chase Lettau were runnersup in their weight classes and earned 2nd team All ESD. And there were 3 honorable mention All ESD with 3rd place finishes. Congrats to Caleb Stolenberg, Tyler Sarringer and Dusty Paulsen.

That's about it. I probably have more tomorrow. I was thinking about the Lady Gov basketball team and any ties to the past with any of the current players. I am still researching and might come up with something tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment