Friday, February 19, 2010

Brian's Friday Freakout

Well, there is something definitely worth talking about around the water cooler this morning, and that something happened at Crow Creek High School last night (Thursday). Crow Creek freshman Jolanna Sazue scored an amazing 54 points in an 82-68 win over Stanley County. Interestingly enough, by my count JoJo scored 18 points from inside the arc, 18 points from outside the arc, and 18 points from the free throw line. I first saw Sazue two years ago as a 7th grader when she scored 17 points against the Lady Buffs, who won easily that night to finish off a regular season that they continued on all the way to the State A. Of course, the following year (last year), Sazue came to play for Tom Rogers and Lady Buffs and became a fine compliment to Sam Ostarello, whether off the bench early on or starting during the second half of the season. Now this year, back at Crow Creek, I admit I haven't been keeping up to date with the box scores for the Lady Chieftains, but when I got to the gym last night, I found out Jolanna scored 43 at Miller Saturday night and has routinely put up 20+ this season, and several times 30 or more. She had 29 in the first half last night, and as I watched, I couldn't help but wonder where that kind of production was last year at Stanley County. :) The thing that struck me most last night, though, was how much Sazue has improved from last year to this year, and the biggest improvement, in my opinion, is how under control she appeared to be. She doesn't rush perimeter shots, she dribbles well in traffic, she moves well without the basketball, and she played a good defensive game. The only blemish was that she fouled out of the game, but then again, so did a lot of people.

So, the big question now is, where does JoJo's 54-point tally rank among the best ever for a single game in the State? For some reason, this piece of information, as I have searched this morning, is a little difficult to come across, even with the wonders of the internet. We speculated during the broadcast about the career highs of players like Jill Young, or Becky Flynn, or SuAnn Big Crow, or maybe even Carla Allard. It seems to me Young hit for 50+ on at least one occasion, but I can't find any evidence. If anyone knows what the record might be, please let the rest of us know.

In the meantime, look for Crow Creek to make some noise in the district tournament coming up in this week ahead. They'll have to play better defense, but they may be a sleeper in the region as well. I think we'll definitely have some great games coming up in the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love open enrollment. Where will she be playing, I mean, going to school next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she stays put - CC is where she started. By the way, thanks to a loyal reader (by way of the Capital Journal), the girls state record was indeed set by SuAnn Big Crow with 67 points in a game in 1992.

    ReplyDelete