Monday, August 1, 2011

More of Rod's Monday Morning Sports Blog

Here are the first round pairings for the Class A Amatuer Baseball tournament that will be played at Hyde Stadium this Friday through Sunday. On Friday at 5:30pm it will be the Renner Monarchs facing the Vermillion Red Sox followed at 8:00 pm by the Brookings Cubbys taking on the Black Hills Landscape A's. The two losers will play Saturday at 11 am in an elimination game with the winner advancing to next weekend final weekend in Mitchell. The two winners will play each other at 1 pm with both teams advancing to the next weekend in Mitchell. Then Saturday at 5:00 pm it will be Yankton taking on Brandon Valley followed at 7:30 pm by the Rapid City Angels taking on Castlewood. Sunday at 11 am the two losers will play in an elimination game with the winner advancing to next weekend in Mitchell and the two winners will meet at 1:30 pm with both teams advancing to next weekend's final weekend of the tournament in Mitchell. In visiting with Pierre Rattlers General Manager Tom Magedanz who will be the local tournament organizer, he realizes that fans probably won't come out to the tournament in numbers that they would if Pierre were in the tournament, but Pierre fans who purchased season tickets for the Rattlers, those season passes will be honored as a way to make up the many rainouts the Rattlers had in June and early July.

I have been asked how I liked the fact that our station did not broadcast any Legion Baseball games this summer and the other station in town did most of them? I can only say "it stunk". I missed not having the opportunity to call any baseball games this summer. Especially the Region and State tournament. I understand the economics of it all but it still "stunk". With the flooding situation of this summer, I tip my hat to the Legion baseball board who all of sudden lost the use of one field and had to reschedule 4 teams to one field. I admit, I tried to listen to some of the games but it was hard and I usually turned the station and found out later. I would prefer to be busy next Summer broadcasting the games and my boss told me in an email that if I found ways that we might be able to generate some dollars to let him and our sales staff know. So I emailed him about 14 or 15 different ways and we will go from there. It also doesn't hurt to let your voice be heard either with a call or an email or short note. Meanwhile I have been working on the high school sports schedules. I think we have a nice product that we will be bringing you this fall and winter. Our Pierre sports schedule features all 9 football, 12 volleyball (7 home and 5 road) games. In the winter we will be broadcasting every boys and girls basketball game, 4 wrestling matches and the Pierre Gymnastics Invitational. KGFX will be broadcasting Stanley County Football 4 or 5 volleyball matches as well as a number of Stanley County boys and girls basketball games along with the Pierre Lady Governor basketball season. We will also have SDSU football, womens and some men's basketball games on again. I have the football and womens basketball games scheduled and am waiting for the SDSU men's schedule to be released. KPLO and KMLO will again have a number of regional games once again this year as well. And again, if you want Pierre baseball on the Dakota Radio Group next year, let our people know by giving my boss and sales manager a call, emailing them or just drop them a note. Or email or drop a note off to me and I will forward it to them.

The Stanley County Booster Club will be having the first meeting of the new school year this Wednesday August 3 @ 6:00 pm in the high school learning center. All are welcome and encouraged to attend as items to be discussed will be fall activities. Any questions may be directed to Ronda Sweetman 280-7165.

1 comment:

  1. Rod - I really missed having you broadcast the Legion baseball games this summer. Please let your bosses know their decision not to broadcast the games this year affected my decision to listen to River 92.7. I can tell you quite honestly that I listened to KCCR radio more this summer than in the 20 years I have lived in Pierre put together! And, consequently, I listened to River 92.7 much less. I would find myself tuning into KCCR even when the games were not on and that was a direct result KCCR carrying the Legion Baseball games. Also, this issue made me more aware of what it takes to cover these games, so I found myself making an effort to support the businesses that supported the coverage of the games. One of the main reasons I listen to local radio is to follow our local HS sports. I'm going to go where the coverage is!

    ReplyDelete