Monday, March 8, 2010

Rod's Monday Take N Things

I was very proud of one 6'8 balding collegiate basketball player named Michael Tveidt last night. How he, as the leader on that team this year, took his NDSU Bison on his shoulders and almost single handedly brought them back from a 13 point deficit to take Oral Roberts to overtime before missing a shot at the buzzer in the OT and their season ends, 1 points short. We don't get cable TV at home, so I did not watch the game but I did listen to the NDSU broadcast on the internet. There announcers were amazed at what Micheal was doing. I wasn't. I have seen it before. From 7th grade when I was coaching my sons traveling team when Tvedit and Jon Christensen of Mitchell (remember him Gov fans) locked up in a back n forth at the Boys and Girls Club gym. My oldest son informs me early in the 4th that Tviedt has 30! Think he finished with 38 that game and we won, but two or 3. Christensen had 35 if I remember correctly. I saw it several times during high school, and perhaps the most memorable was the semi finals of the 06 state tournament. Pierre and Tveidt vs. Brandon Valley and Jack Van Luer. Tveidt made big play after big play and blocked a Van Luer shot that would have won it at the end. BV coach Brent Deckert went nuts thinking there was a foul. No, as I listened to the game, a thought back at how lucky I was to know a young man that when he was in 3rd grade informed me was going to quarterback the Nebraska Huskers and he was going to steal my autographed Husker team ball from 1994. He would just stare at it everytime he came over with my son Michael. I am not sure we still have all the nose prints off the glass of curio the ball is displayed in, (next to my Bo Pelini / Tom Osborne autographted ball). I told him at his high school graduation reception I hoped he remembered me when he was famous (and rich). He said he would, so maybe I will hold him to that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment