Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rod's Wednesday Take N Things

I am glad to see my esteemed colleagues picking up the blogging slack. It was getting lonely at the top> It is a good and healthy debate about Joe Mauer and his importance and how long will he be a Twin. My esteemed collegue Mr. Boyle and I have alot in common you know. One, we are both farmers. He is one, I own 1/2 of our family farm in Nebraska. I tried to teach Mr. B all I know in his early days back in the 90's of play by play and he continues to come along so there is still hope. That is a "Bazinga" Darrin or if you don't follow the tv program "The Big Bang Theory" and Dr. Sheldon Cooper it means, Just Kidding or gotcha! One of them. But he brings up very good points. I think Target Field will mean some big things. I only hope that I am not among the first rainouts of the season next month when I go watch the Twins and Red Sox in their 2nd and third games of the season that count. Although if that happens, I can then give you an idea of how the rain check process would work. My wife bought me a George Steinbrenner Field T-Shirt last week when she was in Florida. I am toying with the idea of wearing it. Especially since several of the folks in the block of tickets we will be in are Red Sox fans.

Now let me switch to the subject of the Minnesota team on the other side of downtown. The Vikings. They are changing the overtime rule about teams that score field goals, the other team will get a possesion. This is only in the playoffs at this point. The Vikings, who may have benefited from this rule in the NFC championship game two months ago in New Orleans. The vote was 28-4 to change the rule. The Vikings were one of the 4 that voted against it! Not sure what to think about that. Hey the Vikings never cease to amaze me every year though. From fans that will turn on them in the drop of a hat, to some of the coaching decisions. Now I can add, the Front Office>

4 comments:

  1. I believe Zigy's thinking on the overtime vote was that if it's not going to apply for the regular season, then why change anything at all. Personally, it seems like the NFL is over-complicating the matter. In high school, you get four downs from the 10-yard line. In college, you start at the 25 and can pick up first downs along the way. In the NFL, why not just make sure both teams get at least one possession? Flip a coin to decide who gets the ball first, and if the first offensive team scores, then they kick off to the other team, who gets one chance to score. If neither team scores on their first possession, then it becomes sudden death. How tough can that be? Not even VSK and Fumbelina can mess that one up, can they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro - You got enough troubles trying to defend your QB, what's his name, "Has" Ben Worthlessburger. I hope you're not slamming my boy AP by calling him Fumbelina (a clever name, though).

    Brett - owner of Nascar fantasy team "All Day Butterfingers 28"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really sure which is the best way to go in overtime. OT in high school ball seems very fair. How many OT games have there been, really? College is another question which is why that overtime format is beeing critically taken to task. I am all letting the stinkin game in the regular season end in a tie. In the playoffs, why not just play another entire extra period? If the game is still tied, then the second OT and beyond becomes like it is, sudden death. OR..eliminate the kickoff and give the ball to the team that wins the flip at the 20. If they can drive the field and score, game over.

    NASCAR Team Owner....Cubby Bear (in the top 5 of the standings this season so far) Just so you know..

    ReplyDelete
  4. All Day is breathing down your back Cubby Bear.

    ReplyDelete