Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Brian: Baseball is Awesome!!

Wednesday night, Sept. 28, 2011 -- a day that baseball historians fifty-plus years from now won't soon forget. A couple of weeks ago, it looked like the teams that would make the postseason were pretty much set, but who knew so much drama would enfold and essentially all come to a head on one night?

For me personally, I took a little break from paying real close attention to baseball this season, which is different from how I have always approached the game. I decided not to participate in a fantasy baseball league for the first time in over ten years. I didn't go out of my way to make sure I watched the Twins game each night - not even when they were still in the playoff hunt (in April). And I didn't watch the highlight shows every night, near as much as I have always done. I'd catch up on a few things each week, but I wasn't on top of everything that was going on all season long.

Whatever the case, if I lost any interest in baseball at all this season, ALL interest came back simply by watching the drama that the season's final day held in store. As mentioned, two weeks ago, it seemed like the end of the regular season would be pretty anti-climactic. Well, the presumed division champions at the time actually held: Phillies, Brewers, Diamondbacks (who were a great story this season) in the National League; and the Yankees, Tigers and Rangers (despite a good effort by the Angels) in the American. But whoever came up with the idea of re-aligning divisions and adding a wildcard team to the playoff mix should certainly receive a pat on the back after this night. The Braves and Red Sox had the final spots all but sewn up, but then both teams looked like the 2011 Twins in the final month of the season, for whatever reason, and the Cardinals and Rays were able to take advantage. Someone could write a pretty good Country song about the heartbreak the Braves and Sox really brought on themselves.

It really was amazing how it all happened on this final night. The Cardinals actually had it easy, getting a shutout from a stud pitcher against the worst team in the Majors. But aside from that, a long rain delay in a tight game perhaps hurt the Red Sox. The Rays came from 7-0 down against the Yankees, scoring 6 in the 8th, then getting a tying home run in the bottom of the ninth from a guy hitting about .100 on the season. Then Evan Longoria hits his second homer of the game to win it -- a screamer down the left field line that could go over the outfield fence in ONLY that very location on the field. The Rays got home runs when they needed them, but I was kind of hoping the Braves would have, too. How cool would it have been if Chipper Jones could have hit one in the bottom of the ninth in their game? But that just wasn't meant to be, and they ended up losing the game on a broken-bat base hit by Hunter Pence that went all of about 100 feet. It couldn't have been much more of a tough-luck way to lose than that.

It would be fun to go on and on about one night, but I think the postseason is going to be fun to watch, especially once the Tigers eliminate the Yankees. I really like the Tigers' chances to go all the way, in fact. I expect the Rays to reverse last year's ALDS result and beat the Rangers this time around, but I do think the Tigers beat the Rays to advance to the World Series. In the National League, I would love to see the Brewers go all the way, and while I think they will beat Arizona in the NLDS, I just can't imagine anyone beating the Phillies, who in my opinion have been the best team in baseball all season long. However, I will pick the Tigers to beat the Phillies in 7 games, with Justin Verlander beating Roy Halladay in what will be a classic 7th game.

A couple of other observations -- Mets SS Jose Reyes won the NL batting title with a .337 average, a few points ahead of Milwaukee's Ryan Braun. But Reyes asked to be pulled from the team's final game after a bunt single in his first at-bat so that he wouldn't lose his hold on the league's high average. BOO you, Jose!

And as far as the Twins' season goes, well, I guess we'll just take a lesson from the Cubs this time. It's true what they (Cubs fans) say: "There's always next year." Hopefully next year brings good health and good cheer (not to mention good health) -- and for crying out loud, some good pitching and better defense that people usually associate with the Twins. However, it will sure be different without hearing John Gordon's voice on the radio. Coincidentally, just about every year we've had Twins games on KGFX, the Twins have had John Gordon calling games. I met Mr. Gordon during the Twins Caravan trip to Pierre before the 2005 season and had a nice conversation with him that night. If I had the chance this time, I think all I'd really need to say is, thanks for the memories, and Touch 'em All, Gordo!

No comments:

Post a Comment