Friday, July 17, 2009

Andy's Rant


Sunday, June 14, 2009

Andy's Rant
Summer break is a great subject for me this time. Students count the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the last day of school. For the student athlete that wants to get a head of the rest it is a time to hit the weight room, the gym, or the one place that will give them that edge for the up-coming sports season. I remember the words of my high school football coach to this day "Big Team Little Me, means you will be in the weight room this summer for the good of the team!" I remember thinking that I have to be there to insure a winning season. I also remember the disappointment when I was one of three to show up that first day of summer lifting. Big team, no not really, more like big no show. I understood some of the reasons for my fellow teammates not making it, like having to work on the family farm, it seemed like those kids didn't need the weight room anyway they always came to the first football practice ready to go for some reason. Some kids played baseball in the summer, but I played baseball and still showed up to the weight room when I could. Some of them just didn't want to get that extra push for the up-coming season and I never understood it. Of the the three of us that showed up two went on to play college football. I know this for certain, state championship teams are not built during their season they are built in the summer with hard work and dedication. I am not saying do not enjoy your summer break, I am saying look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you want to participate or do you want to win. With that said have a great summer and I'll look forward to seeing you all on the fields and courts this upcoming season.

No comments:

Post a Comment