Thursday, July 30, 2009

Brian's view of DISGUSTING!

So the Twins and White Sox were in commercial last night, so I channel-surfed over to ESPN to see how the Yankees and Rays were doing. I noticed Joba Chamberlain had just come out of the game after pitching 8 shutout innings giving up only 3 hits....not bad, especially since he's on my fantasy team, although for some reason I hadn't updated my lineup, and I had Chamberlain, Verlander, and Halladay all on the BENCH!! Grrrrrrrrr......

Anyway, ESPN's camera crew and director, in their moment of infinite wisdom, either seemed to feel it was okay, or they were too stupid to notice, as the announcers talked about Joba's fine effort, while he prepared to take a dip (the chewing kind). For 30 seconds or so, they kept the camera on Joba as he packed his chew can with that arm motion that flops the index finger down on the top of the can, which I never could figure out myself. Now, maybe it's just me, but if a guy is about to blatantly dip into his tobacco can, shouldn't we get the camera off of him, BEFORE he actually opens it and puts a fistful of chaw into his cheek? Just how many kids are actually watching that broadcast anyway?

I know this kind of thing goes on all over baseball, but since it's an opportunity to pick on a Yankee -- great job, Joba! Keep up with the fine job of role modeling you continue to display! You deserve a big ol' pat on the back for the size of that loogie you blew out in the dugout, while still on camera, but I'll hold off on the pat, since I'd hate to see you swallow that shhhhtuff. More importantly, get a clue, ESPN production team! Come to think of it, I'm surprised now that they weren't showing Jeter - it seems like the camera's always on him anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment