Thursday, July 2, 2009

Andy's Rant

Baseball, Fourth of July and Apple pie, it doesn't get more American. From the smallest little league to Major League Baseball nothing says summer like a good game, whether you are sitting on some make shift bleachers or in the stands at a huge stadium you can't be American and not love baseball. I found myself, the other night, watching Teener Baseball and thinking back to my youth. We played baseball when we were small and every year we dreamed of playing in The World Series, game seven, bottom of the ninth, runners on first and second, two outs and a full count in a game with your team, for me it was The Houston Astros, down by two. The dream is that the pitcher stairs in and gives a grin then nods his head, he rocks back and lets loose and ninety plus mile an hour fast ball and I swing as hard as I can making contact. I take off for first base and see the ball rise over monument park at Yankee Stadium to win the first ever World Series for The Stro's. I remember thinking I was going to do everything in my power to make this dream come true. The level of dedication was great in those days, as I remember them. Baseball was not just a way to stay out of trouble and have something to do in the summer, no Baseball was as important as any organized school sporting event. We all played football and basketball we ran track and some of us swam for the school swim team, but when summer began we all played baseball. As the Teener game progressed I found myself looking to see which of these kids had the same desire to be a future hall of famer. I know it is a lot to ask for out of kids that are thirteen and fourteen years old, but I saw some good things and some not so good things. For the most part the kids were happy to be playing the game but, there were times during the game when a total melt down occurred. The desire to win was lost the dedication to team was gone and the love for the game turned into detest. I only hope that the kids will learn at this early stage of their careers, that baseball is more fun if it is played with enthusiasm and dedication to the team. All though I never got to play for the Astros and now I am a die hard Twins fan I will forever love the experience I had playing baseball in the summer. I hope that the memories these kids are making now will be as strong as the ones I have from the years playing the game I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment