Monday, July 20, 2009

What's up, Joe?

From the category of things I never thought I'd see, I give you an 0-6 hitting performance by the best pure hitter in baseball, Joe Mauer. That adds to his recent struggles that have seen him get just 1 hit in his last 22 AB's over five games, not counting the All-Star game (or the Home Run Derby). I was at the July 11 game when the Twins lost to the White Sox, 8-7. I'm one of those people who just has to keep score when I go to ball games (probably because it keeps me from drinking those $6.75 beers to quickly). Keeping my own scoresheet, I noticed right away that Mauer had grounded to second base, FOUR times in that game. How does that happen to 2-time batting champion? To me that says adjustments are not being made, and the hitter seems to be more content with just putting the ball in play. I know that's a harsh critique, and I know Joe will get things figured out, so I'm not too worried, but it's just tough to see and average drop 30 points in a matter of 5 ball games. He's still hitting some balls sharply, and I guess I read on Yahoo! that he's been battling one of those summer colds that never seems to go away. Maybe a couple of days off would help, but I would personally also like to see Mauer get moved back up that second spot in the order, where he seemed to excel a month or two ago. Oh well, as long as guys like Nick Punto keep hitting homers, I think the Twins will be just fine.......hahahaha!

Don't look now, but only two games out of the lead in the division, five straight series won on the road, 9 of the last 13 overall since the start of June, which includes one 4-game split at Oakland, where they start tonight......slowly but surely, we'll be right there when October comes around. Not to mention the fact that the starting pitchers are really starting to come around - I think things will be looking up before long for the Twins. Let's win one for the Dome!!!
-Radioooo

No comments:

Post a Comment