Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Things I learned last night / Rod Fisher

I learned several things from Pierre's doubleheader sweep of Spearfish last night in Legion Baseball. I learned that when Kyle Cichos is on, there are not going to be many teams that can beat him. Last night, he was on. I also learned that the college baseball scouts have not given up on him despite his letter of intent to attend South Dakota and play football. When he pitches, there are usually scouts in the stands or in the other team's dugout posing as coaches.

I learned that Ryan Lauseng can pitch as witnessed by his longest outing of the season. I learned that Ryan Yackley is probably the best third baseman Post 8 has put on the field in the last 15 years. I learned that Spearfish is for real and can beat you if you are not playing your best game. I learned they have 2 really good pitchers, after that, who knows. I learned that not everybody knows that a pitcher at the Legion level can throw up to 12 innings in a single day before they need to be replaced. I knew this before but it was reaffirmed last night that Jason Livermont is the offensive leader of this team. Why else would they intentionally walk him more than once!

I learned that Spearfish knows if they don't make the state tournament this year, it could be a few before they have the talent back to the level they have it now. And I know, didn't learn but know, that playing the Region tournament on their field, with Black Hills Umps (low and away strike zone) gives them an advantage come Region tournament time.

And I learned that our green caps look better with our home green pinstriped uniforms than our new all black caps look with the home uniforms. We should wear the blacks with the black vest and keep wearing the greens with the white uni's.

And that is alot of learning for me in one visit to the ball park.

No comments:

Post a Comment