Thursday, August 27, 2009

We haven't heard from Brian in a while.....

Well, I haven't had much to say in the past couple of weeks, or else I've been too busy, but there is one thing I saw that last night in the highlights that really bothered me. Did you see strike zone from the umpire in the Mexico-Japan Little League World Series game? I know in the Big Leagues there are a lot of times a catcher will set his target off the outside part of the plate, and if the pitcher hits the target, then the umpires will often call that a strike, even if it may have been a few inches outside. But in the highlights of at least two pitches thrown my Mexico pitchers, I think the catcher was line up with the middle of the left-handed batter's box. The target was hit, and two Japanese young players were rung-up by the blue, one to end the game. Japan was limited to one hit, losing 6-0, and maybe it's no wonder. If you should be swinging at pitches you can't reach, then your odds aren't very good, I guess.

Now, on to football ("Are you ready for..."...you know the rest). As I take a look at area teams, like Andy said yesterday, I think we're in for a pretty exciting, if not interesting, season. I usually try not to read too much into things, though, because I usually lose sight of who is gone and who remains for most teams. I can look at rosters and see how many juniors and seniors a team has, but if I don't recognize names, then how do I know how much experience those kids have? Chances are you're in the same boat as I am, or else you think I'm just totally ignorant, and for now I'll bet on the latter. Anyway, as for the football that I will be covering this year, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Stanley Co. Buffaloes can do. I'm not going to say at this point that I expect great things out of them in terms of wins and losses, because this is a young team facing a rather tough schedule in at least 5, maybe 6, of their 8 games. But what I am looking forward to is watching a young group with a fun football mentality progress from day 1 to day 56.

Unfortunately, looking at the "all new" Region 4 in Class 11B, I think a playoff possibility for a middle-of-the-pack team is going to be very difficult to attain. I call this region "all new" because of the addition of Winner, who has dropped to 11B this year (and I don't think I will be able to get used to that fact before the season gets over). Winner obviously becomes the clear favorite in the region, while Mobridge-Pollock, as Mr. Morrison pointed out a while back, has a very positive season in front of them. Bennett County, last year's region champion and tomorrow's season-opening opponent for the Buffs, has lost a lot, I think, but I imagine they will still be tough, and I also expect Red Cloud to get enough wins make another surge toward the playoffs. That Bennett Co. game will definitely be a good way to start for the Buffs, though - at home, against a good team, the team that ended their season last year, and a team that could be the perfect measuring stick in finding out where the Buffs are, right off the bat. A win in that first game could breed some confidence into the young group. Find out how it goes on KGFX Friday night.

One other thought - we're expanding our coverage of volleyball this year, and I am hoping fans are able to listen up and take notice. I personally had a great time covering Pierre during the season, and especially Miller and Philip in their State Tournament runs, and I re-realized something I always knew --- volleyball rocks!! For me, it's every bit as exciting and fun to watch as a good basketball game. I invite you to take in a volleyball match if you haven't done so recently, and I also invite you to tune in to our coverage. We'll provide regional coverage on 94 Country, each Tuesday night of the season (Monday during football playoffs) starting with Chamberlain at Stanley Co. this Tuesday. We'll also feature Highmore-Harrold, Gettysburg, Miller, Lyman, Jones Co., Sully Buttes, and White River, among others over the course of the season. Oh yeah, and we'll of course be carrying 12 regular season Lady Govs matches on our stations as well.

Let's have some fun this year - I know I will - starting tomorrow night. Good luck to all teams and athletes. Make us proud! Peace.....
- Radio

No comments:

Post a Comment