Thursday, October 8, 2009

Andy Shoe's Scuttlebutts


I recently took a trip to Northern Nevada to see my nephew play football and I have to admit I was very pleased at his performance. I have heard from my brother how good he was and I dismissed it as a parent is going to say that about their child no matter what. My parents told me that he was very good and again I though, it is a grandparents job to brag about their grandchild. As the game started I thought well no matter how good a player he is I will say he is great and that is the job of an uncle. I have to admit I was blown away at his performance, he caught two touchdowns and had over two hundred yards receiving. I know what you are thinking I am talking as an uncle but I have to say I was proud of him and I hope that some college somewhere will give him an opportunity to play college football.

Now that I have told all of you this I wanted to talk a little about parents and high school athletics. I have a philosophy about parents and their children. I think that as far as the parents are concerned they can join the booster club, they can cook the fund raiser meal and they can support their children from the stands and of course they are in charge when the child is at home. Where I have the problem is when a parent feels the need to coach and tell the coach how to do their job. This is a problem that has existed for years. I know parents want the best for their child and they have the right to do what ever possible to ensure this, but they also have to let the coaches do their job. A child goes out for a high school sport for a reason and in some cases they go out for the sport for the wrong reason, but they are there and under the supervision of the trained and qualified coaching staff. If you don't agree with what a coach has done or is doing then make your voice heard at a school board meeting or in the privacy of the coaches office where just you and the coach are only present. I have a hard time with seeing parents in the stands yelling at coaches or parents trying to rally a group of other parents together against the coach. I too have seen some real problems with certain coaches in the way they teach the game, but I was taught a way of playing and so I suppose that is the only way I know. Some coaches teach in ways that are unconventional and sometimes we can't judge a coach solely on his win or loss record.

So the next time you have the urge to stand up and yell at your coach or the opposing coach remember that your kids are present. Until next time be good sports.

5 comments:

  1. This is a joke. The phrase "hello pot, meet kettle" comes to mind here. Walk the walk, Andy....don't just talk the talk. We're all guilty of coach bashing--yourself included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a tough subject, Coaches take the job knowing what comes with it. Parents want what they think is in the best interest of their kid. I believe that EVERYONE involved should look at the finished product which is how our kids act long after their playing days are over and not the wins and losses of their high school career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s like that in all high school sports, one coach on the side line and 20 or more in the stands. It’s hard for parents or even die hard fans not to coach from the stands. What really gets me going, is hearing about parents do behind the scene's, like calling school board members and coaches at home trying to make there kid to be the next all star. Parents taking coaches out for supper to give there children a better chance at playing. It’s things like that really make high school sports ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the anonymous person that said my blog was a joke. Sorry that you feel that way. I am paid to be an analyst, to analyze and describe the game. So you're right that once in a while I do describe what I think the coaches are thinking. I also have coached and refereed for a period of time so I think I am qualified to speak in this mode. I also do not have kids playing sports and in fact I do not have kids at all. If I did have kids I can honestly say that I would leave the coaching up to the coaches. Again I am sorry that you feel this way and I hope you will understand the difference between what I do and what parents from the stands do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coaches want state championships, parents want all-staters.

    ReplyDelete