Monday, October 5, 2009

Brian loses it....

Ever seen a grown man weep uncontrollably? Well, if you would have been in the same room as I was, as I watched the Farewell to the Metrodome tribute, you would have. In my days of following sports as closely as I have, I have come to realize what a sappy sentimentalist I really am. But you know, once the memories of Kirby Puckett start flowing, inevitably, so do the waterworks. I can't listen to Jack Buck's call of, "...and we'll see you...tomorrow night!" without getting choked up or even having to clear at least a single tear from eye. The same goes for John Gordon's radio call, "Touch 'em all, Kirby Puckett!!" and Bob Casey's famous Metrodome introduction, "...the center fielder, number 34, Kirbyyyyyyyy PUCKett!!" Wouldn't you know it, it's hard to enough to write this without feeling those same emotions. I thought sports guys were supposed to be tough, but I'm such a, (what's the word?), wuss! I even felt choked up when they named Johan Santana to the All Metrodome team. Part of that would be because I wish we still had him to start Game 1 against the Yankees because that's the only chance we have to beat those guys. :o)

Yes, I am the Dick Vermeil of the DRG Sports Team. Truth be told, though, I feel the same way when doing a local radio broadcast for an event that I know will become a lasting memory. Whether someone wins a state championship, and you share in their joy, or even if their expectations aren't met, and you feel their heartache along with them. Sometimes, it gets a little tough to talk, and in those times, if you listen close, you'll be able to hear it in my voice. Most of the time, the feelings that come up are simply borne out of the pride you feel for the student-athletes and all the dedication they have put in to help make these memories happen.

Back to the Dome Farewell, a big high five goes out to Kent Hrbek for ad-libbing his speech and "complaining" that he had to come back for one more game and drink some more beer. Beer does help clear throat lumps, you know. But beware, too much of it, and you won't remember all the memories that are still yet to be created. GO TWINS!!!

2 comments:

  1. You cried during "A League of Their Own" didn't you? When that Madonna song was on at the end and the old ladies are playing a pick-up game and none of them broke a hip? I did.

    I heard Puffs Plus is looking for a new pitch man.

    BJO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would have cried, but Tom Hanks kept telling me, "THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!"

    ReplyDelete